Monday 2 March 2015

Fay's up to Mischief - a mini-review!

Book: Mischief by Fay Weldon, hardback Fiction Anthology, published by www.headofzeus.com

I was sent a review copy of Fay Weldon's latest book because she's coming to Beatons Blandford to 'Be in Conversation'. She couldn't come to our launch party so this is a special occasion for her to step outside across the border from Wiltshire and for us to give her a welcome here, supporting Blandford's Regeneration Project.

And it's our first book-related event. In fact it's our first post-launch event! Details here.

Mini-Review Number 1:

Before I spread some Mischief, can I just mention that I'm fingering the hardback edition and that I want to SCREAM very loudly that it has THE most stunningly beautiful jacket by illustrator,'Charlotte Jade' as you can see (in what I think is tea-spill-free material). For the vibrant matching turquoise end papers and greyscale title pages and introduction the designers at Head of Zeus Publishing have to be applauded.  See Fay's quote at the end about the aesthetics of paper - it really is a book to treasure.

So, to the contents of Mischief!
It includes a new novella - 'The Ted Dreams'which has me fighting off my own as I try to read just one more page before going to bed... and four decades' worth of short stories. Of these, I've indulged in  'A Gentle Tonic Effect' so far (very occupied with Beatons Chester launch preparations at the mo). So glad that's where my fingers landed. It's wicked, brilliantly crafted - eight un-put-downable pages multi-layered with uneasy truths about the human psyche. And a must for all therapists and counsellors to read!

I'm enjoying the book enough to have earmarked it for a full review in our Summer Reads feature in July.